Yeosu Travel Guide from Seoul: A Romantic Coastal Escape with Night Views, Fresh Seafood, and Must-Visit Attractions

 

Yeosu,Dolsan Bridge night views

After living in Seoul for many years, there are times when I simply want to get away from the busy streets and spend a day by the sea. Whenever that feeling comes, one destination always comes to mind—Yeosu, a beautiful coastal city on Korea's southern coast.

My connection with Yeosu actually began during my university years. One of my closest classmates grew up there, so during school breaks and long weekends I often traveled with him to visit his hometown. At first, I was simply visiting a friend, but after several trips, I found myself falling in love with Yeosu's relaxed atmosphere, beautiful ocean scenery, and incredibly fresh seafood.

Even today, I still return to Yeosu whenever I need a short escape from city life. Walking along the waterfront at night while watching the lights reflect across the harbor never gets old. Unlike Seoul's energetic skyline, Yeosu offers a slower, calmer kind of beauty that stays with you long after your trip ends.

Another reason I always look forward to visiting is the food. Every time I eat seafood in Yeosu, I'm reminded why the city is famous throughout Korea. While fresh sashimi is excellent, my personal favorite is Yeosu-style braised cutlassfish (Galchi Jorim). The rich, spicy sauce combined with incredibly fresh fish makes it one of the most memorable meals I've had anywhere in Korea.

In this guide, I'll share my personal experiences along with practical travel information, including how to get to Yeosu from Seoul, transportation options, admission fees, must-visit attractions, local food recommendations, estimated travel costs, and useful travel tips for first-time visitors.


Why Visit Yeosu?

Yeosu is one of South Korea's most beautiful seaside cities and became internationally known after hosting the 2012 Yeosu World Expo.

Today, it's one of Korea's top domestic travel destinations and is becoming increasingly popular with international visitors looking to experience Korea beyond Seoul.

Why I Recommend Yeosu

  • Beautiful coastline and island scenery

  • Famous Yeosu night views

  • Fresh seafood and local specialties

  • Scenic cable car rides over the ocean

  • Perfect for a weekend or 2-day trip

  • Relaxed atmosphere compared to larger cities

Whenever I've brought foreign friends here, Yeosu has consistently become one of their favorite destinations in Korea.


How to Get to Yeosu from Seoul

Option 1. KTX High-Speed Train (My Favorite Choice)

This is the fastest and most convenient way to travel.

Route

Seoul Station → Yeosu Expo Station

Travel Time

Approximately 2 hours 50 minutes to 3 hours 20 minutes

Fare

  • Economy Class: KRW 47,000–60,000

  • Prices vary depending on seat type and booking time.

Why I Recommend It

Yeosu Expo Station is located close to many major attractions, making it easy to begin sightseeing immediately after arriving.


Option 2. Express Bus

Route

Seoul Central City Bus Terminal → Yeosu Intercity Bus Terminal

Travel Time

Approximately 4.5 hours

Fare

Around KRW 35,000–45,000

This option is ideal if you're traveling on a tighter budget.


Option 3. Driving

Distance

Approximately 360 km (224 miles)

Travel Time

Around 4.5–5 hours, depending on traffic.

Driving offers flexibility if you plan to explore nearby coastal villages and scenic viewpoints.


Best Places to Visit in Yeosu

1. Yeosu Maritime Cable Car

The City's Signature Attraction

The Yeosu Maritime Cable Car crosses the ocean between the mainland and Dolsan Island, offering spectacular panoramic views of the coastline.

I highly recommend riding it around sunset when you can enjoy both daylight scenery and Yeosu's famous nighttime skyline.

Admission

  • Standard Round Trip: about KRW 17,000

  • Crystal Cabin Round Trip: about KRW 24,000

Highlights

  • Ocean panorama

  • Sunset photography

  • Beautiful nighttime city views


2. Odongdo Island

A Peaceful Island Walk

Odongdo is one of Yeosu's most iconic natural attractions.

Walking through the camellia forest while listening to waves along the coastal path has always been one of my favorite experiences.

Admission

Free

Highlights

  • Camellia flowers (winter to spring)

  • Coastal walking trails

  • Lighthouse viewpoints


3. Yeosu Night Sea

The Main Reason I Keep Coming Back

Many people know the famous Korean song "Yeosu Night Sea," but experiencing it in person is something entirely different.

The illuminated Dolsan Bridge, harbor lights, and calm ocean create one of Korea's most romantic evening landscapes.

Best Time

7:00 PM–10:00 PM


4. Dolsan Park

The Best Place to View Yeosu at Night

Located near the cable car station, Dolsan Park offers one of the city's best observation points.

Highlights

  • Dolsan Bridge night views

  • Excellent photography spot

  • Free observation area


5. Yi Sun-sin Square

Named after Korea's legendary naval commander, this lively square is surrounded by cafés, restaurants, and local street food.

It's a wonderful place to enjoy an evening stroll after dinner.

Foods to Try

  • Seafood Samhap

  • Yeosu Gat Kimchi

  • Local burgers

  • Korean ice cream


6. Hyangiram Hermitage

One of Korea's Most Beautiful Sunrise Temples

Perched on a cliff overlooking the South Sea, Hyangiram offers breathtaking ocean views and a peaceful atmosphere.

Admission

Free

Highlights

  • Sunrise views

  • Coastal scenery

  • Quiet temple atmosphere


7. Aqua Planet Yeosu

Perfect for families or anyone interested in marine life.

It's one of Korea's largest aquariums and features impressive underwater exhibits.

Admission

Approximately KRW 30,000–40,000


Foods You Shouldn't Miss in Yeosu

One of Yeosu's greatest strengths is its seafood.

Braised Cutlassfish (Galchi Jorim)

My personal favorite.

The fish is incredibly fresh, and the spicy, savory sauce pairs perfectly with steamed rice and traditional side dishes.


Fresh Sashimi

Because Yeosu is a coastal city, you'll find excellent seafood at reasonable prices.


Soy Sauce Marinated Crab (Gejang)

One of Yeosu's signature dishes and a must-try for seafood lovers.


Vinegared Filefish Salad (Seodae Hoe Muchim)

A refreshing local specialty with a sweet and tangy flavor.


Seafood Hot Pot

A hearty dish filled with fresh shellfish and seafood, especially popular for breakfast.


Suggested 2-Day Itinerary

Day One

Seoul → Yeosu Expo Station

Lunch (Braised Cutlassfish)

Odongdo Island

Yeosu Maritime Cable Car

Dolsan Park

Yeosu Night Sea Walk

Dinner (Fresh Sashimi or Soy Sauce Crab)


Day Two

Hyangiram Hermitage

Yi Sun-sin Square

Local Café

Souvenir Shopping

Return to Seoul


Estimated Travel Budget (Per Person)

Expense Estimated Cost
KTX Round TripKRW 100,000
Hotel                               KRW 70,000–150,000
MealsKRW 40,000–70,000
Cable CarKRW 17,000
Café & SnacksKRW 15,000
Local TransportationKRW 10,000

Estimated Total

KRW 250,000–360,000

(Shopping expenses not included.)


Practical Travel Tips

Book KTX and Hotels Early

Yeosu is especially popular on weekends and holidays.


Ride the Cable Car at Sunset

This is the best time to enjoy both the golden sunset and Yeosu's famous night views.


Wear Comfortable Walking Shoes

You'll spend plenty of time exploring Odongdo Island, Dolsan Park, and the waterfront.


Buy Gat Kimchi Before Leaving

Yeosu's famous mustard leaf kimchi makes an excellent souvenir.


Final Thoughts

Back when I was in university, I traveled to Yeosu simply to visit a friend. Looking back now, those trips introduced me to one of Korea's most memorable coastal cities.

Even today, whenever life feels overwhelming, I sometimes find myself thinking about Yeosu's peaceful harbor at night. Walking slowly beside the ocean, enjoying fresh seafood, and finishing the day with a warm plate of braised cutlassfish somehow makes everything feel a little lighter.

Yeosu isn't just another tourist destination. It's a place where beautiful coastal scenery, incredible local food, and a slower pace of life come together naturally.

Best of all, it's only about three hours from Seoul by KTX, making it an easy weekend escape.

If you're planning a trip to South Korea beyond Seoul, I wholeheartedly recommend adding Yeosu to your itinerary. For me, it's a place filled with unforgettable university memories—and I hope it becomes one of the most memorable stops on your own journey through Korea.


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get from Seoul to Yeosu?

The easiest way is by KTX from Seoul Station to Yeosu Expo Station, which takes approximately 3 hours. Express buses and rental cars are also available.

What is the best time to visit Yeosu?

Spring (April–May) and autumn (September–November) offer pleasant weather, while summer is perfect for enjoying the coast and vibrant evening atmosphere.

Is Yeosu worth visiting for first-time travelers to Korea?

Absolutely. Yeosu offers beautiful coastal scenery, fresh seafood, famous night views, and iconic attractions like the Yeosu Maritime Cable Car and Odongdo Island. It's one of Korea's best destinations for travelers looking to experience more than just Seoul.


Related Articles

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

외국인이 가기 좋은 서울 전통시장 5곳 – 서울에서 30년 넘게 살면서 추천하는 로컬 명소

Everland Korea Guide 2026: Best Rides, Panda World, Safari, Tickets & How to Get There from Seoul

Bukchon Hanok Village: The Best Way to Experience Traditional Seoul